Wednesday 26 May 2010

Listening to . . .

Now I don't know about you guys, but music is absolutely everything to me. I can't even imagine a world without it. I listen to music every moment I'm able to, so I thought this might be a good opportunity to share with you just two of my favourite songs and musicians and tell you what makes them so special to me!

First up, Joseph Arthur and his incredible song 'Honey and the Moon'. Whilst the meaning of the song is actually quite a sad story, the arrangement of acoustic guitar combined with Joseph Arthur's husky vocals and song writing simply blends into a beautifully subtle mass of pretty sounds, and stunning lyrics.

The song starts with -

"I don't know why I'm still afraid, if you weren't real I would make you up"

I can't even describe how perfect I think these words are, and there's something really powerful about the melody of the guitar that I can't quite put my finger on.. it was actually the beautiful guitar riff in this song that encouraged me to teach myself acoustic guitar, this was the first song I taught myself and it continues to be my absolute favourite to play and sing to, even though I've played it over and over again, I'll never get tired of it.


Second, Gregory and the Hawk. An absolutely beautiful acoustic musician by the name of Meredith Godreau, probably most well known for her song 'Boats and Birds' which includes the crazy beautiful lyrics

"If you'll be star, I'll be your sky
you can hide underneath me and come out at night,
When I turn jet black, and you show off your light
I live to let you shine, I live to let you shine.

But you can sky rocket away from me,
and never come back if you find another galaxy
far, from here, with more room to fly,
just leave me your stardust to remember you by.."

She could sing all of her songs a cappella and they would be just as pretty, but the minimalistic guitar accompaniment to her soft, delicate voice creates a sound that is just perfect to listen to. I adore listening to her whilst doing artwork or dressmaking, her music is just so relaxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to hear my readers thoughts, please do comment if you have the time x