Wednesday 15 June 2011

FEATURE - Peculiar Forest

Not too long ago I was lucky enough to get my little paws on this beautiful cherry blossom pendant, hand pierced by Peculiar Forest's own hands in copper, hanging from an oxidized sterling silver chain. If you're not familiar with Peculiar Forest then read on, because we've done a lovely little interview for you!

Look, look, isn't it beautiful! Want your own? You will find an abundance of beautiful jewels in her etsy shop so I urge you to go and take a look!
(Psst - She even takes custom orders!)


Tell us a little about who you are?
My name is Lou, I am 30 and I live in a little village in France with my partner Dom and our 15 ratties. I love drinking a good old English cuppa and I am a little bit too obsessed with Ghost Hunters, love it!

What do you do?
I work full time for a biotech company in Basel Switzerland, where we live is called the 3 frontiers as it is where the 3 borders of Huningue in France, Weil am Rhein in Germany and Basel in Switzerland all meet, so I can be in all 3 countries at once if I stand in one particular spot, I get the best of all 3 worlds!

How did you become interested in jewellery making/design?
I started out making personalised wedding cake toppers, which I still do make and then my interests changed a little and I made a few pieces of polymer jewellery. I then started working with metal clay and now I am working with mixed sheet metals, it is just something that I have learned and taught myself along the way.

What inspires you?
Everything really, I love nature, old things , particularly old houses that could be haunted. I love to make flowers and cherry blossoms are my favourites :)

What are you working on now?
I am currently taking a metalsmithing class every Friday and I am working on a ring with, you guessed it, a cherry blossom. I am also making a handmade chain for all of my etsy metal clay charms which will be a necklace once it is finished. I am also making my 3rd set of charms for the etsy metal clay charm swap.

What advice would you give others looking to take up this trade?
If you are just starting out in jewellery making, read lots of books and watch some videos on YouTube where there are lots of tutorials. Also if you are selling on the handmade sites such as etsy and Artfire, don't expect instant success as it takes time. Keep making and practicing as much as you can and join some etsy teams for help and inspiration.

Clickable images will take you to each item in Peculiar Forest's etsy shop. Images copyright Peculiar Forest.

You can find Lou and her beautiful Peculiar Forest happenings in the following places:

2 comments:

  1. Great interview! Thank you for helping me to discover Peculiar Forest. What lovely things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment! Isn't her jewellery just beautiful? I've got my cherry blossom on now :) x

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear my readers thoughts, please do comment if you have the time x