Saturday 20 November 2010

Antique Keys . .

I know I'm not the only one who has an obsession with these things.. So I thought I'd dedicate a post to them. I've acquired old keys from everywhere - the internet, family members, junk shops, antique shops, car boots.. I just can't get enough of them!

I think it's the mystery that surrounds them that makes them so appealing. Not knowing who it belonged to, wondering what it was used for.. Did it open a gate to a secret garden? A secret room? A treasure chest?

I thought I'd share a couple of things I've been working on -
First up, a skeleton key garland to hang wherever you please! This little beauty has been sent across the country to a lovely girlie, as part of a swap package. I am SO making one of these for myself! It starts with a braided base of vintage floral fabric and ribbons, and the keys are wrapped in the same florals as the base, each key was looped onto the garland as I plaited and it's all finished off with vintage buttons and some skinny ribbon at each end to tie it up with!


Second, a bib style necklace with a faded blue felt base, rolled muslin and lace roses, the pink flower in the middle was made from reclaimed sari fabric and the whole thing is finished off with a sweet little antique key, tied down with vintage lace bows, vintage glass pearls and a vintage button! These necklaces are so much fun to make and of course each has the opportunity to be a complete one-off piece, I'm really looking forward to making more!

I'd love to know what you all think! ♥

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad i'm not the only one who has a strange obsession with old keys! I think you're right about the mystery element associated with them and what secrets they could of once locked away. Lovely crafts you've made from them, thanks so much for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I'm your newest follower, I have been reading through your blog and love it! It's inspiring and familiar to some of my own hazy ideals... Keep up the posts. I want to read and see more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Such gorgeous pieces, love the roses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the keys. Just found your blog tonight, feeling inspired.

    Thanks,

    "your newest follower" Carly

    www.lifewiththelittlebird@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone for your lovely comments <3

    Yellowbird, I'm glad I've inspired you :) thanks for following x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear my readers thoughts, please do comment if you have the time x