Sunday 19 December 2010

Doe, a deer, a female deer (complete with pattern) . .

I picked up this adorable pattern from a user on craftster, she has given me permission to share it on my blog.

A link to download the pattern can be found at the end of this post.

Louise Knight Doe

I've never made a plushie before, so was a bit worried about how this little sweetie was going to turn out once I'd finished sewing! However, once I got started everything just seemed to work perfectly and I barely ran into any problems at all (this is extremely rare for me!). I am SO pleased with how she turned out I will certainly be making more to put around our flat! This one sits on our dresser in the living room amongst the fairy lights!

This is a great project to use up your scraps! I'm sure it's probably a lot easier to use felt as it's strong and doesn't fray, but I liked the thought of the edges fraying a bit and her looking a little scruffy, so I chose to use a vintage style pastel floral print poly-cotton that I had left over from making a kaftan to wear to Vintage at Goodwood earlier in the year (this reminds me, I must post about that too!). I cut duplicates of the pattern pieces out of interfacing to toughen up the pieces and prevent her from tearing at the seams once she was stuffed.

For the little markings on her back I used mother of pearl buttons and for her eyes I've used vintage gold-edged pink buttons. She has a little bow of vintage pink lace around her neck complete with a gold bell I borrowed from her pal, Mr. Lindt Reindeer (he's disappeared somewhere, no idea where... (mmmm)).

Louise Knight Doe

After her legs were stuffed I put some wire in them to make sure she stayed upright. the trickiest part of the whole process was sewing the head onto the neck, but once I'd done it, that was it, FINISHED! In all she took me two evenings in front on the telly to complete from cutting out the paper pattern pieces to tying her bow. I'd say that's pretty good going for a first-timer!

(Netterz' doe (and other critters) can be viewed here and her fawn can be viewed here)
Please be aware that these patterns are for personal use only; do not sell anything made from them.

Please let me know if you use these patterns as both myself and the creator of the patterns would love to see!


3 comments:

  1. Aww she's SO Cute! Love her. Thank you for sharing I'm going to download and save for next year!

    Ro xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes do! Please let us see once you've made yourself one :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect fabric choice, dainty and vintage-looking like the little details - it's gorgeous :D

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear my readers thoughts, please do comment if you have the time x