Wednesday 26 October 2011

Overcoming the Dreaded Creative Block

Feel all inspired, sit down to do something and then draw a total blank? You're definitely not alone! I've suffered from artist's block ever since I can remember. It almost always ends with me waiting until the very last minute to get something done, and even then things only ever happen because they HAVE to be done. But procrastination is obviously not always practical when you have deadlines to meet. So what can be done to prevent creative block from taking over far too much of your valuable time?

After taking part in a Crafterminds chat on twitter on Monday night, I have compiled my own list of techniques that I find help me to overcome or prevent the dreaded writers / bloggers / creative / artists / crafters block! I'm hoping this list will serve a purpose not only to myself (for the kick up the backside I often need when I'm dawdling, looking for things to do), but for others who are also stuck in a rut!
  • STOP! - If something isn't working for you, the chances are it still isn't going to work for you within the next 30 minutes. Put it down and move on to something else until you feel ready to return to it.
  • Write lists - USE THEM. Stick them to things so you can see them.
  • Surround yourself with creativity - artwork, books, ornaments, colour-ways. Working in an inspiring environment can do wonders for the imagination.
  • De-Clutter your work space - you never know what might show up and kick-start that creative flow again!
  • Take some time out - there's nothing worse than waiting for an idea. Sometimes you have to let the idea come to you. Make the time to do other things, go for a walk, write a blog post,  bake a cake! 
  • Don't be afraid to try something that's already been done - there are loads of amazing ideas that spin off  of other projects. 
  • Keep a notebook and pen with you at all times - I have one on my bedside table and another in my handbag so I can write any ideas I have in an instant before I forget!
  • Be inspired - Check out blogs, books, read, write, listen to music and challenge yourself to try something new.
  • Grab a camera, any old camera, go outside and take photos of 'stuff'. Compose or be snap-happy. We all love photos and you never know what might happen when you review your images!
  • Open up a blank notebook page and let your pen run free - doodle, write. Get it all out! 
For more great ideas, check out these posts across the web that have inspired me recently:

Feel free to leave your own tips in the comments too! ♥

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, the tips are good. Best of all is knowing that it's not just me, so perhaps I should feel less guilty when I'm blocked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I would say 'do not try to hard' is the main one for me. If creative things are going to happen they will in there own time...oh and a bottle of red and good old chat with my wife helps too!

    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article! I really love your photo, too! I tweeted & linked up at our Blogging Resources page: http://crafterminds.com/blogging-resources/

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear my readers thoughts, please do comment if you have the time x